Despite cleaning or replacing your air filter regularly, some dust and debris does make it through to your air ducts. This allows dust, dirt and allergens to linger in your duct system. This negatively impacts your indoor air quality but also causes your HVAC system to work harder--increasing wear and tear, increasing energy bills and decreasing the lifespan of your system. So, how do you know if it's time for an air duct cleaning? Here are the signs your air ducts need cleaning.
1. Dusty home - Is your home dusty no matter how often you clean? If you notice dust seems to build up fast, even when you've just cleaned, it could be coming from your air ducts.
2. Major renovation - If you've had a major renovation in your home, no matter how tidy the construction crew is, some dirt and debris will end up in your ducts. Once construction and clean-up is complete, schedule a duct cleaning as a final step.
3. Mold - Your HVAC system can collect condensation. Condensation can allow mold to grow and thrive in your ductwork. Mold in your indoor air can make you and your family very sick. While you might not be able to see mold in your duct system, you can smell it. Mold has a musty odor that can alert you to its presence.
4. Rodent infestation - Rodent infestations can happen in your walls and eventually make their way to your duct system. The first step is having the infestation dealt with. Then it is necessary to have your ductwork completely cleaned down to remove rodent droppings. Rodent droppings can release fecal spores and those spores can make you and your family very ill.
5. Increasing energy bills - If your energy bills seem to be going up and up, particularly when compared to the last year or two, a dirty duct system could be to blame. Dirty ducts make your HVAC work harder, which makes it less energy efficient. It needs more energy to cool or heat your home and this causes your consumption and your bill to rise.
These signs your ducts need cleaning can help you determine if a duct cleaning appointment is necessary. Duct cleaning also has the added benefit of finding and uncovering any leaks or tears in your ductwork that could be taxing your HVAC system also. Carolina Comfort Systems
is your resource for all things HVAC-related. If you suspect you need a good duct cleaning, give us a call today