If you think your HVAC isn't working like it should or like it used to, you might be due for an HVAC replacement. How can you tell? We've got a list of the signs you might need a new HVAC system.
1. Loud Noises - HVAC systems normally get louder with age but some loud noises are a signal that your HVAC is reaching the end of its lifespan. Noises to listen for include: blower humming louder, furnace banging, noise before the AC starts up and loud noises coming from the outdoor unit.
2. More Frequent Repairs - When the costs of repairs and parts start adding up, it's time to consider replacing the unit. This is especially true if the coil, motor or compressor goes out. In those cases, it makes more sense financially to replace the unit than to continue to pay for costly repairs to the existing unit.
3. Increasing Running Time - If you've noticed your HVAC has been kicking on more often and/or it runs for much longer to reach the desired temperature, this increased running time indicates the system is starting to wear out and needs to be replaced.
4. Your HVAC is More than 10 Years Old - The average lifespan of an HVAC system is about 10 years. If you have been very diligent with regular maintenance, you might get a couple more years out of the unit than average. In many cases, beyond 10 years you will start to have major system repairs needed that make more sense to replace the unit. Plus, the technology from 10 years ago is nowhere close to the technology we have today in terms of energy efficiency and cost savings.
5. You Haven't Kept Up With Maintenance - If you haven't been keeping up with regular maintenance and servicing, your system could be a serious emergency waiting to happen. Frayed or worn wires and conduits are a fire hazard. Without having had regular consistent maintenance and service, your system could also have a bunch of small problems that will add up to a major breakdown.
Buying a new HVAC system is a major expense but can often be worth it rather than fixing lots of problems along the way that add up to a big repair bill. These are some of the signs to watch and listen for to help you tell when it is time to replace your HVAC system.