While digital thermostats are fairly common in most households these days, not all digital thermostats are programmable. Choosing a programmable thermostat has a number of benefits for your wallet and your peace of mind.
1. Increase energy-efficiency - A programmable thermostat helps you more precisely control the temperature at different times of day, such as when you are away at work. This helps conserve energy when you aren't using the system, making your system and your home more energy-efficient.
2. Save money on utility bills - Being more energy-efficient means using less energy. Using less energy means you save money on your utility bills.
3. Reduce wear and tear on HVAC - A programmable thermostat allows you to set your temperature lower in the winter and higher in the summer when you aren't home. This change in temperature means your HVAC system cycles on and off less frequently, thus reducing wear and tear.
4. Increased comfort - A programmable thermostat helps keep temperature more consistent and with less fluctuation. More consistent temperature provides increased comfort.
5. Set it and forget it - You can set your programmable thermostat once per season to shift temperatures while you're normally away and come to your desired temperature when you're due to arrive home. You can literally set it and forget it and the thermostat follows your programming automatically.
6. Control settings from your phone - If you choose a programmable thermostat that is also a smart thermostat, you can control the temperature right from your phone while you're on the go. Getting off work early? You can change the thermostat to your desired temp right from your phone. Leaving on vacation and forgot to set it to vacation mode? You can do that from your phone too with a smart programmable thermostat.
7. Maximize use of zoned systems - If your home has a zoned HVAC system, a programmable thermostat helps you better manage the different zones in your home and make the most out of having a zoned system.
Having a programmable thermostat just makes sense. It saves you money, makes your HVAC more energy-efficient and can even be programmed or changed on the go if you choose a smart version.