The coldest part of the year is close at hand in Myrtle Beach. Did you know there are simple things you can do to help save money on your winter heating costs? Here are our tips to help you save on your utility bills this winter.
1. Lower the thermostat. You save about 3% on your bill for every degree lowered for at least 24 hours. That adds up to a big savings by dropping just a couple of degrees in your home. Better yet, invest in a programmable thermostat to help you save automatically.
2. Seal the chimney flue. When you aren't using your fireplace, make sure your chimney flue is closed and seals properly to keep cold air out. An open chimney flue causes as much heat loss as a window left open a few inches.
3. Don't heat rooms you don't use. Have rooms you rarely or never use during the winter? Close the vents, close the door and save money by not heating rooms you aren't using.
4. Keep blinds and curtains closed when the sun isn't out. Anywhere from 10-25% of the heat loss in an average home is lost through the windows. Closing your blinds and drapes helps insulate the space around your window and helps prevent heat loss.
5. Check the weatherstripping on your doors. Weatherstripping can get damaged or become loose over time, allowing drafts and cold air into your home. If needed, remove and replace the weatherstripping on your door to ensure your door isn't sucking heat right out of your home.
6. Install plastic window treatments. Insulate windows (especially single-pane windows) with plastic window treatments to reduce heat loss around windows.
7. Use space heaters (safely). Space heaters help you save money by only heating the space you're in, instead of the whole house. Use space heaters to help you rely less on your main HVAC so you can keep the thermostat lower.
8. Keep up with preventative maintenance. You should have preventative maintenance performed on your system at least once per year to ensure everything is working properly and efficiently. Preventative maintenance can also help spot small problems before they lead to a major breakdown.
While our winters might be short here in the Grand Strand, they can get mighty cold. These 8 tips can help you save money on your heating costs this winter.