It's officially spring and time to take care of preventative maintenance for your HVAC system. Taking care of your HVAC system in the spring gets you prepped and ready for the hot and humid summer months. A little bit of maintenance now can help ensure your home stays comfortable all summer long. Here are some maintenance items you can take care of any time of year:
1. Check around the outside unit for any debris that could be hindering the smooth operation of the unit. If you find debris, turn the system off (safety first) and clear it away. Turn the system back on and check the outdoor unit during the next cycle to make sure it's running without any obstructions.
2. Clean out the A/C drainage hole. This drain tends to be fairly small so a fine pipe cleaner or even a paper clip can help ensure there is no build up in the drain that could impede the condensation from draining away from the unit.
3. Clean your dehumidifier. Open up the dehumidifier unit and allow to dry thoroughly inside. Once the inside of the unit is dry, use a vacuum or shopvac to remove any dirt and debris inside the unit. Keeping your dehumidifier clean helps it maintain efficient removal of extra moisture from the air in your home.
4. Change your furnace filter. Here in South Carolina, land of pollen, your furnace filter can get gunked up quickly. Most recommendations for this area are to change your air filter at least every other month, however, you might need to change it monthly to keep good air flow and keep your indoor air cleaner.
5. Invest in a smart thermostat. A smart thermostat is a great investment for your home that will easily pay for itself in the money you save with more precise control of your HVAC system when you're at home and when you're on the go. You can change your settings from anywhere through your smartphone and most models give you tips on how to save even more money based on your normal use.
And make sure to schedule your regular maintenance service with Carolina Comfort Systems. Your regular maintenance service includes a thorough cleaning and inspection of your HVAC system to keep everything working in optimal condition. Your Carolina Comfort Systems technician will also look for signs of wear and tear and recommend any belt or part replacements needed to prevent a costly emergency call later on.
Even better, Carolina Comfort Systems offers four different Comfort Star Protection Plans for you to choose from so your regular maintenance is one less thing to remember. Plus being a Comfort Star Protection Plan customer gives you priority customer service when you do have an urgent need and extra discounts depending on which plan you choose. To learn more about our preventative maintenance programs, just give us a call.