Conserving energy is one of the few true win-win things you can do in your home. Not only do you reduce your carbon footprint but saving energy saves you money at the same time. Here are the top 10 energy and money-saving tips to use in your home this month:
1. Change lighting from CFL spiral bulbs and traditional lightbulbs to LED bulbs. LED lighting uses less energy, lasts much longer and saves you more money over the lifetime of the bulb.
2. Install weather-stripping around doors and windows to prevent heat loss. Losing heat not only causes your furnace to work harder and longer (using more energy) but costs you money too.
3. When the super chilly days and nights hit, leave the thermostat alone! Bundle up in cozy sweaters and snuggle up with fuzzy blankets when relaxing on the sofa. By not cranking up the heat, you save energy and money.
4. Open the blinds during the daylight hours to take advantage of the brightness and warmth of the sun. When the sun goes down, close the blinds to trap that natural warmth inside.
5. Use your ceiling fan strategically. Warm air rises so turn your ceiling fan to clockwise rotation and run on the lowest speed to gently push that warm air back down where it matters.
6. Keep your furnace maintained. Change the filter monthly or as soon as it gets dirty. Keep vents clean of visible dust and build-up. Have your furnace professionally serviced at least once per year to have it properly cleaned, inspected and maintained for top energy efficiency and longest life for your HVAC system.
7. Close off vents for guest rooms and storage rooms you don't use. This helps heat the rooms you do use faster and easier, and that equals savings for you.
8. If you only use one or two rooms, save even more by dropping your thermostat to 62 degrees and using an energy-efficient space heater in the rooms you actually use. Combine this tip with #7 to maximize your savings.
9. Invest in cozy flannel sheets, thick fleece PJs and a warm comforter--and then drop your thermostat setting by 10-15 degrees while you sleep. You'll stay toasty warm and save cash while you dream.
10. Use exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchens and attics sparingly. They can pull warm air right out of your home, making your furnace kick on more often.
Saving energy is good for the planet and saving money is good for your wallet. For more energy and money-saving tips, chat with your Carolina Comfort Systems technician or book a service appointment.online today!