Mold thrives in humid climates... like South Carolina. And you may not even realize you have a mold problem. Mold can grow inside walls due to condensation from plumbing, above the ceiling from water leaks, and even under the floor. Mold spores spread easily and once you have a mold problem, it can be difficult to eradicate. Mold releases toxins and particles that can aggravate allergies or even cause serious illness. The best way to fight mold, is to prevent it - here are 8 ways to prevent mold from taking up residence in your home.
1. Completely dry wet areas. Also make sure not to leave wet towels or clothing laying around as they can grow mold faster than expected.
2. Vent properly. Make sure laundry rooms, bathrooms, HVAC systems and dehumidifiers vent to the outside to avoid moisture build-up in the home.
3. Watch for indoor humidity. Telltale signs of indoor humidity include condensation on the inside of windows, near plumbing and on walls or ceilings.
4. Take care of gutters. Regularly clean debris from gutters, repair leaks and check for leaks. Damaged gutters can easily lead to roof leaks that allow mold to grow in less visible areas.
5. Keep air circulating. Make sure air circulates well through the home. Use ceiling fans and keep a bit of space between furniture and the wall. Regularly open closets and closed spaces to allow air to circulate.
6. Mind the plants. Moist soil that helps house plants thrive also provides ideal conditions for mold growth. Regularly check soil and plants themselves for signs of mold growth.
7. Clear the perimeter. Regularly check around the perimeter of your home the ground slope carries water away from your house. Water that collects along the foundation can easily turn into a crawlspace or basement leak - and a breeding ground for mold.
8. Use mold-resistant building materials. Remodels, repairs and newly built homes can all be done with mold-resistant drywall and building materials, particularly in rooms that see higher moisture levels like bathrooms, kitchens, basements and laundry rooms.
These 8 tips can help you prevent mold growth in your home. The best remedy for mold problems really is preventing them from occurring to begin with! Carolina Comfort Systems is here to assist you with all your Myrtle Beach indoor air quality needs.